St. Bartholomew’s Church
Name: St. Bartholomew’s Church
Address: 325 Park Ave, New York, NY 10022
Architect or Builder: Goodhue, Bertram and McKim, Mead & White
Style: Byzantine Revival
NYC Boroughs/Neighborhoods: Midtown East
County: New York
St. Bart’s has graciously planned two full days of hourly guided stained glass tours and Saturday organ demonstrations, no prior registration is needed.
Featured Site Tour
Saturday, May 20th
Organ demonstration and Stained Glass Guided Tour
11:30 a.m., 12:30 a.m., 1:30 a.m.
Tours every hour will start with a 10-15 minute organ demonstration and then focus on the history of the stained glass windows. Additionally, The Church is open Saturday from 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. for self-guided tours. *Please note there is no 10:30 tour, as previously posted*
Featured Site Tour
Sunday, May 21st
Stained Glass Guided Tour
12:15 p.m., 1:15 p.m., 2:15 p.m.
Stained glass guided tours run approximately 20 minutes. The Church is open from 12:15 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. for self-guided tours.
Completed in 1930, the church interior contains Art Deco stained glass windows and mosaics. The Reynolds, Francis & Rohnstock’s Sanctus window was installed in 1943. The South Clerestory windows by Hildreth Meiere, were installed in 1948, 1949, and 1955. The North Clerestory windows by Meiere and Allyn Cox, were installed in 1956, 1965, and 1964. Other stained glass windows are by John Gordon Guthrie, Lamb Studios, Owen Bonwit, Charles Kempe Studio.Superbly sited in a terraced garden amid the corporate towers of Park Avenue, the Byzantine-Romanesque style inspired St. Bartholomew’s Episcopal Church is an outstanding example of the work of Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue.
Church construction began in 1918, the church is built with salmon-colored brick highlighted with bands of limestone and is ornamented with carvings, many of them representative of the life of St. Bartholomew. The famous triple-arched entrance portal (1900-03) , designed by Stanford White of the firm McKim, Mead, and White for the congregation’s previous home on Madison Avenue, was a memorial to Cornelius Vanderbilt II; Goodhue was required to incorporate this element into his design. The entrance, with its bronze doors and carved panels, the work of Daniel Chester French and Andrew O’Connor (central bay), Herbert Adams (north), and Philip Martiny (south), was modeled on the portal to the Provencal Romanesque church of Saint Gilles-du-Gard near Arles, France. The community house (1926-28), designed by Goodhue’s successor firm after his death, is in harmony with the church.