Church of the Resurrection
Name: Church of the Resurrection, Richmond Hill
Address: 85-09 118 Street, Kew Gardens, NY 11415
Date: 1874, 1905
Architect or Builder: Dudley, Henry M.
Style: Gothic Revival
NYC Boroughs/Neighborhoods: Kew Gardens
Saturday, May 20th
11:00 a.m.; 12:00 noon; 1:00 p.m.; and 2:00 p.m.
As the oldest church in the Richmond Hill neighborhood, Church of the Resurrection was founded by members who had migrated from the city when the new railroad station was established. In December 1874, architect Henry Dudley designed the small wooden frame church in the Gothic style for the newly incorporated Church of the Resurrection that remains the core of the existing building. Jacob Riis, the noted reformer who campaigned tirelessly on behalf of New York’s working poor through his pioneering photo essays was an early parishioner; the Riis Family memorial stained glass window the “Good Shepherd,” fabricated by the Mayer of Munich company in 1906, remains in the building today. The church was remodeled and enlarged incrementally between 1905 through the 1920s with the additions of side aisles, front porch, belfry, transepts, and chancel.
Special, pre-booked guided tours focusing on the stained glass will be offered.
Space is limited and advance registration is suggested.