Special, Pre-booked Tours

We are pleased that 16 sites in New York City are offering special tours featuring their beautiful stained glass and glass mosaics at:

The Woodlawn Cemetery, and St. James Church, Fordham in the Bronx; Brown Memorial Baptist Church, St. Agnes Roman Catholic Church, Green-Wood Cemetery, First Unitarian Congregational Society, and Grace Church in Brooklyn; St. Michael’s Episcopal Church, The Riverside Church in the City of New York, Church of the Holy Trinity, Bialystoker Synagogue, Muhlenberg Chapel at Mt. Sinai-St. Luke’s HospitalSt. Bartholomew’s Churchand Temple Emanu-El in Manhattan; Church of the Resurrection in Queens; and Calvary Presbyterian Church on Staten Island.

Space for each tour is limited and advance registration is suggested. Please follow the links below to register for tours online through Eventbrite.


Saturday, May 20th / St. James’ Episcopal Church
2500 Jerome Avenue (The Bronx)
11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.

St. James’ Episcopal Church is a picturesque stone building designed in 1863 for a rural parish in what was then part of Westchester County. One of the finest Gothic-revival religious buildings, it resembles a medieval English parish church. Of particular interest is the superb stained-glass windows, manufactured by the Royal Stained Glass Factory at Munich, which date to 1865 and by Tiffany Studios, including “Lilies and Apple Blossoms” and a copy of Da Vinci’s “Last Supper.”

Special, pre-booked guided tours of the Tiffany windows will be offered.

Space is limited and advance registration is suggested.


Saturday, May 20th / The Woodlawn Cemetery
4199 Webster Avenue (The Bronx).
3:00 p.m.

The Woodlawn Cemetery is a National Historic Landmark and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is home to many mausolea with outstanding stained glass windows and mosaics by notable artisans such as Louis Comfort Tiffany and John LaFarge. Participants should come to the Jerome Avenue entrance at the intersection of Jerome Avenue and Bainbridge Avenue, just across the street from the Nr. 4 train ‘Woodlawn’ station.

This docent-led tour will focus on significant stained glass installations.

Space is limited and advance registration is suggested.



Saturday, May 20th / Brown Memorial Baptist Church
484 Washington Avenue, Clinton Hill (Brooklyn)
12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.

Designed by Brooklyn resident Ebenezer Roberts and constructed in 1860 as the Washington Avenue Baptist Church, Brown Memorial Baptist Church is considered an unusually ornate example of the Romanesque-revival style. The red brick structure dominates the corner of Washington and Gates Avenues and features carved brownstone pinnacles, a crenelated tower. Inside are several large Tiffany stained glass windows including the Roberts Memorial Window, also known as “The Pilgrims” window, which was dedicated to the church’s architect, Ebenezer Roberts. This window also serves as a memorial to the struggles of the Pilgrim religious leaders, including abolitionists and workers of the Underground Railroad, a nod to Clinton Hill’s past as a hotbed of abolitionist activity.

A special, pre-booked guided tour highlighting “The Pilgrims” window will be offered.

Space is limited and advance registration is suggested.


Saturday, May 20th / First Unitarian Congregational Society
116 Pierrepont Street, Brooklyn Heights (Brooklyn)
11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.

First Unitarian Church, constructed in 1844, is one of the finest works of the influential American architect, Minard Lafever. The design was loosely based on late-English Gothic prototypes, such as King’s College Chapel, Cambridge but Lafever adapted his sources to create a building which is uniquely American. Remarkably well preserved, the church’s only significant alterations have been the addition of the wonderful stained glass windows, including a full suite of Tiffany angel windows and the “Unitarian Saints” clerestory windows. The balcony also features a 1915 Tiffany mosaic, “Angel of Light,” originally installed at the Unitarian Church of the Messiah in Manhattan, which was purchased by First Unitarian in 1935.

An organ demonstration will be offered at 11:00 a.m. and a special guided tour at 2:00 p.m.

Space is limited and advance registration is suggested.


SOLD OUT Saturday, May 20th / Green-Wood Cemetery SOLD OUT
500 25th St, Brooklyn (Brooklyn)
1:00 – 3:00 pm

Green-Wood Cemetery, established 1838, is a National Historic Landmark and “permanent residence” of America’s two most notable stained glass practitioners, John LaFarge (1835 – 1910) and Louis Comfort Tiffany (1848 – 1933). See their memorials and also visit beautiful examples of 19th-century stained glass in Green-Wood’s chapel and many mausoleums. A special pre-booked tour will be led by Green-Wood’s Manager of Restoration and Preservation. Special feature: Stained glass windows by artist Jessie Van Brunt (1863-1947), who was a student of La Farge’s and is interred at the cemetery. The windows were rescued by Green-Wood from Brooklyn’s Church of the Redeemer, which was demolished in 2015.

Saturday, May 20th / St. Agnes Roman Catholic Church
433 Sackett Street (Brooklyn)
1:00 p.m.

St. Agnes Church was designed in the neo-Gothic style by the noted Brooklyn church architect, Thomas Francis Houghton (1840-1913), a student and later partner of the famed 19th century architect, Patrick Charles Keely. Constructed between 1904 and 1913 it is the neighborhood’s dominant structure, featuring soaring towers and a façade of rugged Manhattan schist with limestone trim. The stained glass windows of St. Agnes were made in Munich by the renowned firm of Franz Zettler in 1904. Unique in many respects, they are also an unusual choice of theme for the nave of a church: while the windows of most churches use a variety of biblical themes, the eight windows in the nave portray only the life and martyrdom of the church’s patron, St. Agnes.

A special, pre-booked guided tour highlighting the stained glass windows will be offered.

Space is limited and advance registration is suggested.


Sunday, May 21st / Grace Church Brooklyn Heights
254 Hicks Street, Brooklyn Heights (Brooklyn)
2:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.

The stained glass windows of Grace Church Brooklyn Heights are especially notable for their beauty, history and diversity of workmanship in both the American and European styles. The three Tiffany Windows receive the most attention, but there are also world class installations by several of the most revered stained glass manufacturers to ever operate in Britain and on the continent of Europe.

Two special, pre-booked guided tours highlighting the stained glass windows will be offered.



SOLD OUT Saturday, May 20th / Muhlenberg Chapel of St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital SOLD OUT
West 113 Street and Amsterdam Avenue (Manhattan)

The Muhlenberg Chapel is a distinctive feature of St. Luke’s Hospital, designed by Ernest Flagg and named for the founder, Dr. William Augustus Muhlenberg. The chapel is rectilinear in plan, with an elliptical ceiling supported by transverse ribs resting on delicate corbels, rising 40 feet from the floor. The chapel’s chief decoration is found in its stunning stained glass windows on the theme of “Christ the Consoler” with rondels depicting the “Seven Acts of Mercy” by Henry Holiday.

A special Guided Tour of the Chapel with a discussion of Henry Holiday’s stained glass windows will be led by architect George B. Bryant.


Saturday, May 20th / St. Michael’s Episcopal Church
225 West 99th Street (Manhattan)
3:00 p.m. and 4:00 pm

St. Michael’s has seven Louis Comfort Tiffany lancet windows in the apse depicting St. Michael’s victory in Heaven, installed in 1895. Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company also decorated the dome of the apse and installed the Vermont white marble high altar, reredos, credence niche, altar rail, pulpit and other apse decorations. By 1920, the Tiffany Studios decorations in the Chapel of the Angels were completed, including two more stained glass windows and the large mosaic, Gloria in Excelsis, behind the altar. The dramatic lighting fixture hanging high above the apse, as well as most of the fixtures in the Chapel of the Angels, was also produced by Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company. All of these works represent one of the largest installations of Tiffany glass and decorations to remain in its original setting.

Space for each tour is limited and advance registration is suggested.


Saturday, May 20th / St. Bartholomew’s Church
325 Park Avenue, Midtown (Manhattan).
10:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 12:30 a.m., 1:30 a.m.

Organ demonstration and Stained Glass Guided Tour

Tours every hour will start with a 10-15 minute organ demonstration and then focus on the history of the stained glass windows. No registration required.

SOLD OUT Sunday, May 21st / Bialystoker Synagogue SOLD OUT
7-11 Willett Street/Bialystoker Place (Manhattan)
4:00 p.m.

Bialystoker Synagogue is housed in a fieldstone building built in 1826 in the late Federal style. The building is made of Manhattan schist from a quarry on nearby Pitt Street. The exterior is marked by three windows over three doors framed with round arches, a low flight of brownstone steps, a low pitched roof with a lunette window and a wooden cornice. It was first designed as the Willett Street Methodist Episcopal Church. The interior is notable for its lavish furnishings, decorative wall painting and stained glass, dating from 1905.

A special pre-booked tour will be hosted by the Lower East Side Jewish Conservancy

Sunday, May 21st / Riverside Church
490 Riverside Drive at 120th Street (Manhattan)
1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.

Riverside Church features a nave with stained glass windows designed in the tradition of Chartres Cathedral, but manufactured in the United States and France. Riverside Church’s Christ Chapel is patterned after the 11th century Romanesque nave of the fortress church of Sts. Nazaire and Celsus at Carcassonne with fantastic stained glass reminiscent of medieval Europe. The narthex windows include 16th century Flemish windows salvaged from a church at the time of the French Revolution. Other spaces with wonderful stained glass include the meditation chapel. The 400-foot carillon tower holds 74 bells including the world’s largest tuned bell forged in 1925.

Special pre-booked, docent-led tours highlighting the recently restored stained glass windows will be offered.

Space is limited and advance registration is suggested.


SOLD OUT Sunday, May 21st / Temple Emanu-El SOLD OUT
1 East 65th Street (Manhattan)

One of the world’s largest synagogues, Congregation Emanu-El was founded in 1845. Its second and current Fifth Avenue synagogue was completed in 1929. A spectacularly decorated Art Deco interpretation of Moorish and Romanesque styles, Temple Emanu-El stands as one of New York City’s greatest spiritual and civic landmarks able to accommodate 2,500 people, on the scale of the cathedrals of St. Patrick’s and St. John the Divine. Temple Emanu-El is among the earliest Reformed Jewish congregations in New York. The building is open weekly for architectural tours after Saturday services, and has an on-site Judaica museum.

A special, pre-booked tour led by curator Warren Klein will be offered.


Sunday, May 21st / The Church of the Holy Trinity
316 East 88th Street (Manhattan).
2:30 p.m.

Architect George Bryant will present a lecture entitled, “The Most Glorious Stained Glass: Henry Holiday and the Rhineland Memorial Church of the Holy Trinity”

William Rhinelander Stewart described the two transept windows designed by Henry Holiday for Church of the Holy Trinity as “The most glorious stained glass he had seen ancient or modern.” Stewart commissioned Holiday to design all seventeen windows in the church making Holy Trinity one of the few remaining churches in the world with a complete set of Holiday windows. The lecture will explain how this happened by tracing Holiday’s career, his artistic development and his cultivation of small but loyal set of influential patrons in New York City.

Advance registration is suggested.


Sunday, May 21st / St. Bartholomew’s Church
325 Park Avenue, Midtown (Manhattan).
12:15 p.m., 1:15 p.m., 2:15 p.m.

Stained glass guided tours run approximately 20 minutes. No registration required.

Completed in 1930, the church interior contains Art Deco stained glass windows and mosaics. The Reynolds, Francis & Rohnstock’s Sanctus window was installed in 1943. The South Clerestory windows by Hildreth Meiere, were installed in 1948, 1949, and 1955. The North Clerestory windows by Meiere and Allyn Cox, were installed in 1956, 1965, and 1964. Other stained glass windows are by John Gordon Guthrie, Lamb Studios, Owen Bonwit, Charles Kempe Studio. Superbly sited in a terraced garden amid the corporate towers of Park Avenue, the Byzantine-Romanesque style inspired St. Bartholomew’s Episcopal Church is an outstanding example of the work of Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue.


Saturday, May 20th / Church of the Resurrection
85-09 118th Street (Between 85th and Hillside Avenues, Kew Gardens) Queens
11:00 a.m.; 12:00 noon; 1:00 p.m.; and 2:00 p.m.

As the oldest church in the Richmond Hill neighborhood, Church of the Resurrection was founded by members who had migrated from the city when the new railroad station was established. In December 1874, architect Henry Dudley designed the small wooden frame church in the Gothic style for the newly incorporated Church of the Resurrection that remains the core of the existing building. Jacob Riis, the noted reformer who campaigned tirelessly on behalf of New York’s working poor through his pioneering photo essays was an early parishioner; the Riis Family memorial stained glass window the “Good Shepherd,” fabricated by the Mayer of Munich company in 1906, remains in the building today. The church was remodeled and enlarged incrementally between 1905 through the 1920s with the additions of side aisles, front porch, belfry, transepts, and chancel.

Special, pre-booked guided tours focusing on the stained glass will be offered.

Space is limited and advance registration is suggested.



Saturday, May 20th / Calvary Presbyterian Church
909 Castleton Avenue, West Brighton (Staten Island)
12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.

Calvary Presbyterian Church features a steeply pitched gable roof and tall bell tower. The church is eclectic in its style, with Romanesque and Tudor elements and magnificent side tower. The interior of the church is especially notable for its tall ceilings and exposed wooden trusses. Additional features include five beautifully executed art glass windows by Maitland Armstrong, moved here in 1951 from the 1892 Randall Memorial Church at Sailors Snug Harbor, which was razed. Maitland Armstrong’s “Emmaus” window was restored in 2002-2004.

A special, pre-booked guided tour highlighting Maitland Armstrong windows will be offered.

Space is limited and advance registration is suggested.